Whether you are new to this or have dealt with hemorrhoids for years, you know the despair that they bring.
And while hemorrhoids don’t pose a serious threat to your health, they are damn uncomfortable to experience.
Some quick FAQ:
Table of Contents
- What Essential Oils to use for Hemorrhoids?
- 11 Essential Oils for Hemorrhoids
- Simple DIY Blends and Applications for Hemorrhoids
Why do hemorrhoids happen?
Hemorrhoids are varicose veins in the rectum, just above the anus. They actually provide a function by maintaining separation between blood vessels and rectal tissue. They only become a problem when they become inflamed and enlarged. This most commonly occurs as a consequence of demanding physical labor, difficult bathroom visits or as a complication of pregnancy.
(By the way, the “correct” term for the condition is piles, not hemorrhoids)
What are the Symptoms like?
Symptoms include blood in your stool, itchiness, intermittent bleeding, and protrusions. External hemorrhoids hurt the worst, but internal ones are no fun either. Also, you’ll want to scratch them. But don’t. They just get worse.
What Essential Oils to use for Hemorrhoids?
Essential oils work surprisingly well for hemorrhoids (when used properly.) They really are a fantastic medicine for this ailment. Which is exciting information to find out!
Some specific ways that Essential Oils help:
- They reduce swelling. Many essential oils are anti-inflammatory and do a good job of shrinking veins back to normal sizes.
- They provide relief for agitation like itching and sharp, stinging pain.
- They strengthen the blood vessels. This prevents a relapse of the condition. Stronger blood vessels mean better structural integrity and a decreased chance that they’ll rupture in the future.
- They rejuvenate lesions and ruptures. This is the first step when it comes to stopping the bleeding.
- They improve blood circulation. There is a lot of back up of blood and waste material associated with hemorrhoids. Getting the blood moving is of utmost importance. The more swelling and constriction there is the less circulation. And less circulation means even more swelling. It’s a cycle.
- They pack a broad medicinal punch. Essential oils are complex medicine. They provide antibiotic effects, beneficial hormones as well as vitamins and nutrients.
- They’re safe. And they provide immediate and long-term support.
Now let’s dive into which oils you should focus on to get these great benefits.
11 Essential Oils for Hemorrhoids
Cypress is long known for its medicinal properties. It is one of the safest and gentlest oils available. It tones tissue and causes blood vessels to contract and heal. It’s noticeably astringent. It’s a renowned wound oil and reduces bleeding and its ability to in circulation helps warm up and ease muscles and tissue.
Geranium is an established hemorrhoid/piles remedy, as well as a powerful wound cure. It stops bleeding, encourages speedy healing and eases the pain by numbing nerves and limiting inflammation.
Sometimes referred to as “first aid in a bottle” tea tree oil provides great support for clearing up hemorrhoids. It’s cooling, antiviral, antibacterial, anti-fungal and is an all-around powerful medicine that’s safe and effective.
Lavender might be the most loved – and most utilized – essential oil of the modern era. It’s healing powers have been appreciated for thousands of years. Lavender is calming, balancing, anti-inflammatory and analgesic. It also strengthens bodily functions and quickens the functions of important glands.
Helichrysum promotes cell growth, is anti-inflammatory and antiallergenic. Wounds like piles can be very sensitive to allergens, so this trait can be very helpful here. It’s also commonly used for rheumatism, muscular aches, pains, and wounds.
Frankincense is a calming herb that relaxes the nervous system. It works as an effective cleanser, destroying infection-causing bacteria. It also contracts and tones tissues which help to speed regeneration.
Patchouli oil reduces inflammation, kills bacteria and prevents or destroys fungal infections. It’s effective for wounds of all kinds. It’s also a cell generator and provides astringent actions which help tighten loose skin.
Juniper is a commonly used external application for hemorrhoids. It’s a tonic and detoxifier that promotes warmth and blood flow. It eases muscular tension and pain and promotes localized stress reduction to the area it’s applied.
Niaouli is native to Australia where it has been a staple in medicine cabinets for centuries. It eases the pain by providing a numbing sensation. It eases aches, pains, and poor circulation and provides cleansing and support for blood vessel integrity.
Chamomile is gentle, it soothes inflammation and promotes the formation of new tissue. In addition, it eases the pain by numbing nerves and calming agitation. It is safe, gentle and very effective.
Sandalwood is effective for all body types and is beneficial for just about every skin ailment around. It’s an antiseptic, cleanser, is warm, comforting and soothes hyperactivity.
Recommended Carrier Oils
Simple DIY Blends and Applications for Hemorrhoids
Now that you’ve learned about some specific oils lets discuss targeted ways to blend them. There are a wide variety of blends that are well known to be effective for hemorrhoids.
Below you’ll find a variety of blends that should well for you.
Calming the Itch Blend
Combine the following oils:
Blend together and place in an empty glass bottle
When needed add 2 or 3 drops on a pre-moistened wipe
DIY Hemorrhoid Gel
In a small non-reactive bowl combine:
- 1 tsp (5 ml) witch hazel distillate (alcohol-free)
- 2 drops cypress essential oil
- 2 drops juniper essential oil
- 2 drops geranium essential oil
Combine and mix thoroughly.
Next, add to the mix:
- 8 tsp (40 ml) unscented aloe vera gel
And mix it all up.
Then transfer to a 1 oz (30 ml) resealable glass container. Store in a dark, cool place.
Stir well before each application. If the blend stings, add more aloe vera gel.
Calendula Relief Ointment
- Blend together
- Apply topically several times daily or as required.
Soothing Hemorrhoid Cleansing Pads
In a 4 oz (125 g) glass har combine:
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) witch hazel distillate (alcohol-free)
- 10 drops chamomile essential oil
- 5 drops niaouli essential oil
Seal jar and shake well.
Next place cotton cosmetic pads in the jar one at a time, carefully submerging them to soak up the liquid. They should be saturated but not dripping. You should be able to fully soak 20 to 25 cotton pads.
Use these cleansing pads to wipe after using the toilet, or as needed to relieve itching.
Warm Essential Oil Wash Cloth Blend
Create a blend of the following oils:
Add 2 drops of mixture to a warm washcloth.
Apply the washcloth to the anal area for a few minutes and repeat three or four times, twice a day.
Blend for Bad Cases with Bleeding
Create a blend of the following oils
- 10 drops cypress
- 10 drops lavender
- 10 drops frankincense
- 10 drops helichrysum
- 5 drops geranium
- 5 drops of sandalwood
- 2 tablespoons fractionated coconut oil
Use a glass bottle for storage
Apply 4 to 7 drops of this blend 3 or more times daily.
Sitz Bath for hemorrhoids
Fill your tub or basin with just enough warm water to cover your bottom.
Meanwhile, in a non-reactive bowl combine:
- 1 tsp (5 ml) milk
- 2 drops chamomile essential oil
- 2 drops juniper essential oil
- 2 drops cedarwood or sandalwood essential oil
Add to water, agitate to disperse, then soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
Follow up by gently massaging your hemorrhoids with the hemorrhoid gel.
Internal Treatment Blend (Suppository)
- 2 drops geranium
- 2 drops lavender
- 1 teaspoon fractionated coconut oil
(Alternatively, use 6 to 8 drops of lime essential oil or 6 to 8 drops of Melrose essential oil.)
Apply internally with a rectal enema up to three times daily.
Simple Witch Hazel Application
A final recommendation to soothe irritation is to use cold witch hazel lotion applied on absorbent cotton.
Apply daily as necessary.
I hope these recommendations help you resolve your condition.
If you have any comments or questions please scroll down and leave a comment!